The tenth annual Problem Gambling Awareness Week is upon us. This year’s awareness week takes place from March 4 to March 10. The theme is Anyone. Anywhere. Anytime. Nationally, awareness week is sponsored by the National Council on Problem Gambling. In Minnesota, Northstar Problem Gambling Alliance and the Minnesota Lottery have teamed up to participate in this all-important opportunity to educate the public about gambling addiction.
An important aspect in raising awareness about problem gambling involves alerting the public to the signs of gambling addiction. Here are eight warning signs of a gambling problem:
- Increased frequency of gambling activity
- Increased amount of money gambled
- Gambling for longer periods of time than originally planned
- Bragging about wins, but not talking about losses
- Pressuring others for money as financial problems arise
- Lying about how money is spent
- Escaping to other excesses (alcohol, drugs, sleep, etc.)
- Denying there is a problem
Awareness week also emphasize that problem gambling can be treatment, and that treatment works.