The state of Minnesota continues to have a need for gambling counselors. In fact, there are fewer state-certified gambling counselors than there were five years ago.

To become a gambling counselor in Minnesota, one must be a licensed alcohol and drug counselor, mental health professional/practitioner (licensed clinical social worker, psychologist, marriage and family therapist) or a psychiatric registered nurse. One must also complete gambling counselor training approved by the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS).

Training can be completed in several ways. One way is to earn a National Certified Gambling Counselor (NCGC) credential offered through the International Gambling Counselor Certification Board. More information can be found here.

A second way to take the training is online through the University of Minnesota Duluth/North American Training Institute. If counselors have previously received training through another state’s program and are certified, reciprocity may be available.

Prospective gambling counselors must also agree to terms of an application and handbook provided by the state. The application and handbook can be requested from the DHS Problem Gambling Program office.

The Minnesota Department of Human Services currently offers a scholarship for 70 percent off the cost of online training. Those interested should apply for the scholarship prior to enrolling and will be reimbursed once the course is successfully completed. A limited number of full scholarships are available to service providers working with an identified underserved population.

If you’re interested in learning more about becoming a certified gambling counselor in Minnesota or have questions, please call DHS Problem Gambling Program staff: Helen Ghebre, (651) 431-2245, or Trevor Urman, (651) 431-2231.